Press Conference regarding an OPEN LETTER to the Japanese Emperor and Empress issued by multi-ethnic organizations
July 9, 2009 (Thursday) at 10:30 am
Ovans Room, G/F, BC Teachers’ Federation Building, 550 – West 6th Avenue, Vancouver
Representatives of the multi-ethnic organizations to speak at the press conference:
- Thekla Lit, Co-chair of Canada ALPHA (Association for Learning & Preserving the History of WWII in Asia)
- Satoko Norimatsu, Founding Director of Peace Philosophy Centre
- Tatsuo Kage, Member of Human Rights Committee, Japanese Canadian Citizens Association
- Dr. Marlene Le Gates, Acting President of Women’s International League for Peace & Freedom, Vancouver
- Fernando P. Salanga, President of Philippine War Veterans & Ex-servicemen Society of BC
- Jane Ordinario, Chairperson of Migrante-BC
- Kevin Sung, Director of Korean Drama Club Hanuree
MEDIA CONTACT PERSONS:
Thekla Lit (604-313-6000) or Satoko Norimatsu (604-619-5627)
Representatives of groups of Canadians that make up the rich diversity of this country: Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, and European extend their warm welcome to the Japanese Emperor and Empress’s visit to Canada. At the same time, they appeal to the Emperor for his continued efforts to bring healing and justice to the victims of atrocities committed by Japan before and during the Asia-Pacific War, and for his support of the endeavours to keep Article 9 intact in the spirit of peace.
The Open Letter will be made public at the press conference, and will be put on this website immediately after that.